Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pre-Trip Post

Alright kids, I'm getting ready to ship out of the U.S.!  Want to check in and get y'all situated to my new 'blog'.  I'm new at this, so bear with me :)

I've packed my most necessary possessions in my 65 liter backpack (barely) and hope I've gotten all my survival items, plus fashion accessories I'll need in New Zealand...hee hee.  I bought a new bathing suit today...definitely a survival item.

Thank St. Patrick for Caity McDonald, I sifted through her Goodwill pile last week and snatched up a Celtics t-shirt, so I'll have the correct attire for March 17th.

Many of your have asked about how the earthquake may effect my situation in New Zealand.  No worries, too much.  Christchurch, the devastated area, is approximately 4 hours south of Blenheim, so while no damage occurred, there are many refugees taking shelter in the backpacker's lodging (hostels) in Blenheim. 
I've emailed my contact in Blenheim and he said that I definitely will have a place to stay Tuesday night with other Indevin workers, but it'll be multiple people per room.  I'll have the opportunity for a more private lodging hopefully towards the end of the week.

My cell phone will be shut off, shortly after my plane takes off from LAX Sunday night, so don't try to call or text me.  I will be able to use my iphone on wireless for facebooking and email.  Also, thanks to Alice Wong I've found Google Voice.  If you'd like to text me, or leave a voice mail, my number is (805) 253 3432.  I'll be able to retrieve off my computer.

Unfortunately, as of an hour ago, my computer battery is deciding not to charge...so that's awesome.

Thank you to everyone who put me up the last two months.  Though I was 'living out of my car' I never once had to sleep in it!  Having friends and family from Long Beach to the border of Canada (Blaine) has been such a blessing.  Through my travels of the west coast, I realized that, while I miss everyone in Oregon and Washington...I sure am a Californian now ;)  Sorry guys!

Oh, oh, and thanks to my good friend Lou at Traditional Tattoo in San Luis Obispo for the rad new tattoo I got yesterday.  And seriously people...the foot freakin' hurts.  My tattoo got set nicely though, so I'm expecting a nice healing. (yarr.) 

My grandparents are being so generous and letting me park my car here at their place in La Quinta (near Palm Springs) and keep all my crap I just HAD to have with me, in their spare bedroom.  Tomorrow they'll be taking me to church, then to Aunt Cynthia and Uncle Patrick's in Bellflower for a little send off party before my flight at 11 pm Sunday evening from LAX.

The plan?  Work in Blenheim, until May 6th...then travel south...then north...then farther north to the tropics...?  Who knows?  I'll definitely be back in California by September for Dan Ernst and Kathy Ray's wedding October 1st :)

Kiss kiss!

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels, Amanda! So looking forward to reading about your adventures! Boulder misses you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manda
    I could hardly sleep last night. Excited for you and looking forward to hearing from you. Just know I did this because I love you but this is as far as I go.

    ReplyDelete